Six MPS schools named Wisconsin Schools of Recognition | Community Spirit
Six MPS schools have been selected as Wisconsin Schools of Recognition, an honor reserved for schools where students have above average scores on state standardized tests, despite the fact that a majority of those students live in poverty.
The MPS schools are:
- Academy of Accelerated Learning, 3727 S. 78th Street
- Garland Elementary School, 1420 West Goldcrest Avenue
- IDEAL K-8 Charter School, 4965 S. 20th Street
- Milwaukee School of Languages, 8400 W. Burleigh Street
- Milwaukee Spanish Immersion School, 2765 S. 55th Street
- Rufus King International School, 1801 W. Olive Street
Each of these schools is a repeat winner of the award. “This tells us that their staff members have a clear mission,” said MPS Superintendent Gregory Thornton. “They involve everyone, especially parents, in the educational plan. The result of their efforts is that all children in the school make progress.” The schools will be honored in an event on Wednesday, October 12, in Madison at the State Capitol Rotunda.